- Animal Ecology (Eccard)
- Biodiversity Research / Systematic Botany (Linstädter)
- Ecology and Ecosystem Modeling (Gaedke)
- Ecology & Macroecology (Zurell)
- Evolutionary Biology / Systematic Zoology (Tiedemann)
- Vegetation Ecology and Nature Conservation (Jeltsch)
In addition, there are participating working groups in the field of evolutionary adaptive genomics, genetics, microbiology, and bioinformatics as well as internationally leading non-university research institutes in the Berlin-Potsdam area such as the Leibniz Center for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF), the Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB), the Institute for Zoo and Wildlife Research (IZW), the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK), and the Alfred Wegner Institute for Polar Research (AWI), which participate in teaching and to which close research cooperations exist.